7-8kg whole leg ham
100g brown sugar
80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
1 tsp Chinese five spice
5 x 440g pineapple slices, juice reserved
150g glace cherries
500ml (2 cups) water
- Preheat oven to 180° C (or 160° C fan forced).
Place an oven shelf in the lowest position of the oven and remove other shelves.
- Line a large roasting pan with non-stick baking paper.
- To make the glaze, place the brown sugar, maple syrup, spice and 1/2 a cup of
pineapple juice in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 2–3 minutes
until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut around the shank of ham, about 10cm from end.
Carefully run knife under rind around the edge of the ham. Lift off the rind in one
piece by running your fingers between the rind and the fat.
- Start adding your pineapple rings to the ham. Place a ring into position, and add
a glace cherry in the centre of pineapple. Use a toothpick to secure the cherry.
Continue to place pineapple rings and cherries over ham, slightly overlapping to
cover. You may need extra toothpicks to secure the rings on the side of the ham.
- Pour 2 cups of water into the prepared pan. Place the ham on a wire rack in pan.
Wrap exposed shank in foil.
- Brush a third of the glaze over pineapple. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour over half of remaining glaze. Place back in oven with
the pan positioned in the opposite direction to ensure the ham cooks evenly.
Bake for 40 minutes until golden.
- Brush with remaining glaze. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
Remove toothpicks just before carving!
Download the recipe card here.